Tuesday 4 September 2012

A + Smoothie


Need to introduce more Vitamin A into your diet?  Kale is a fabulous source of Vitamin A, among other things; but if you’re not crazy about how it tastes, try this smoothie!  This smoothie is delicious and incredibly healthy.  The kale alone will give you over 17,000 iu of Vitamin A per serving.  It also goes a long way in keeping me feeling full during the morning.  I was shocked to discover that a 12 oz. smoothie would keep me feeling more satisfied than my old standard breakfast of a bagel with peanut butter!

2 c. kale (green or red)
1 c. strawberries
1 c. other berries (blackberries, blueberries or raspberries)
2 bananas
1 Tbsp. honey
½ tsp. vanilla
1 ½ c. milk – I use almond milk, but skim is also a great choice
(Makes two 12 oz. smoothies)

** TIP – Now that I’m making smoothies for my hubby and me every day, I’ve come up with a few strategies to help me manage the process.  Since I don’t want to have to spend a lot of time on this every morning, I’ve started prepping everything I need on Sunday afternoon.  I wash, measure and divide the berries into Ziploc bags which then go into the freezer – freezing the berries works even better than using fresh since we like cold smoothies.  Then the kale is removed from the stalks and the large veins are removed, it’s washed and placed into a large plastic container and placed into the fridge.  Once this is done, I’m ready for the week.  Spending 20 minutes on this on the weekend saves me at least 5-10 minutes every morning.

Enjoy!
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment