Tuesday 5 February 2013

Recipes for your Dutch Oven - Healthy(ish) Butter Chicken


If you have you have ever watched the Food Network, you know that the Dutch Oven is an absolute kitchen must-have. So, when I saw one on sale, I jumped at the opportunity to buy it and was super excited to bring it home. I do recommend that you buy a car BEFORE you buy a Dutch Oven because they weigh a freaking ton (I lugged the beast home on the subway!) By the time I finally got the pot home and caught my breath, I realised that I had no clue what it was for or how to use it. I got to researching and learned that the Dutch Oven is the original slow cooker and that it's strength lies in its ability to cook evenly and trap in heat and moisture. These characteristics make the Dutch Oven particularly well-suited for making stews, chilis, soups, curries, sauces, and braises. Of course, you can use the pot to boil water (and it will do a fine job) but the magic happens when you have a number of ingredients that you want to meld into a beautiful and complex layering of flavours. A lot of the time, this means simmering a Bolognese for three hours or a stew for four but the Dutch Oven is also useful for quick dinners and braises and is a pleasure to cook with any night of the week. Over the next few weeks, I will be posting on the many ways to use a Dutch Oven - weekday curries, Sunday Coq au Vin, and fresh homemade bread are on the menu as well as some other tasty dishes. Yum!

Butter Chicken (Great for a quick weekday dinner)


I love Butter Chicken but am always a little wary to order it at a restaurant - mainly because the first word in its name is BUTTER and I have no idea how much butter typically goes into Butter Chicken. A little bit of butter (as opposed to a crap ton) and added veggies make this a healthier option.


Ingredients:






2 lbs chicken breast
Butter chicken paste (I love Kitchens of India)
300 ml water
Veggies (I used onions, peppers, and broccoli)
2 TBS butter
Two splashes of cream or milk (optional)
Rice (I used brown)

Process: 



Step 1: Melt the butter


When cooking in a Dutch oven, you want to avoid the high heat setting. Medium high is as high as you want to go.


Step 2: Saute the chicken



Step 3: Add the spice, water, and the onions if you are using them


Step 4: Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat or until chicken is tender and get your rice on



Step 5: Add the veggies (skip this step if you choose to forgo the veggies)


Step 6: Add the milk or cream if you are using (it will subdue the spiciness if you are looking for a milder dish)

Step 7: Scoop over rice and enjoy!


Yum!

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. I too hastily purchased a dutch oven after watching a cooking show. After getting it home I realized I had no idea what to do with it. It has been 3 weeks and so far I've made meatballs and roasted chicken. Both meals were absolutely delish. I purchased the pot at Costco (Kirkland) and love it. Although it is so heavy my oven racks bow, clean up is super easy. The crusty bits that bake onto the sides literally wipe off after a short soak. Can't wait to try the butter chicken. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gracie! Glad to hear you are using the Dutch Oven...they are so heavy...and so delightful at the same time! Stay tuned...I will be sharing a bread-in-a-dutch-oven recipe soon!

    All the best...happy cooking!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete